Saturday, May 30, 2009

My obession with other people's junk!

They say on man's junk in another man's treasure . . and I believe that. I have yet to convince my children that junk picking is an art . . there is junk picker's edict to follow and all in all it can be quite rewarding. My house, yard, garage and life are filled with "my treasures". I have been going to the flea markets and junk picking since I was about 17 years old . . and heck I'm good at it. I have a solid cedar chest that I used as a coffee table for years and like the original owner I have memories of my own with it . . the two cat's who couldn't quit scratching at the corner's . . and who can forget my two children fighting while I was a work and Kev breaking his foot on that same corner as he tried to kick his sister . . . OH SWEET MEMORIES!

I have tried to curb my collection of "junk", but living within walking to a flea market that runs April - October is like a heroin junkie living next door to his dealer . . . it's so hard. I have to say that seeing on how I'm working toward selling my home and looking for a smaller one I have not been buying any goodies . . but then last weekend it was like a miracle . . really Jess! There it was an old window the perfect size for a place in my bedroom - it was calling my name and I caved . . it' perfect . . peeling paint . . rusted old window latch . . how much better can it get you say . . . it was a bargain price of . . . are you ready . . . $5.oo . . . oh don't to toy with me! I am now the proud owner of that beautiful window.

I actually think I have a fascination with old windows - I have four old windows hanging in my living room, chipped paint and all. I'm using two really cool old "8 pane" windows as a head board for my bed. I wonder if the fascination with windows is that I'm wondering who looked out those windows so long ago and what they saw . . . or maybe it's just because I like old things, I always have. I don't have a lot of priceless antiques but the treasures I do have I love. I'm always telling my kids when I' m gone they should think twice about tossing my "junk" because some treasure do have some value, but maybe it was the thrill of the hunt that makes it a real value to me!

This summer I'm going to try to lure Jessie to the "dark side" with me . . I'll let you know how it goes . . . I'm sure I can find a flea market or an antique festival that will be calling my name and in time with enough convincing . . . maybe Jessie will get the calling . . OH a Mom can dream can't she!

4 comments:

  1. I'am waiting for the day when my sister, the flea market junkie can actually park her car in that big building you call a garage, instead of all the "treasures" being parked there!!and also thinking that she is hoping that someone will look through the windows of her headboard! I have to admit that you have been very good so far, but then again it is only May 30th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. You definitely have more than old windows.
    2. You are ALL ABOUT the thrill of the hunt.
    3. I won't be so easily won over. I'm trying to simplify. However, I have been known to cave for the price of a cup of coffee.

    I'm just sayin.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie is missing out. But she will cave. They always do.

    ReplyDelete